Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Art Cards

 There are going to be a few links in this post, so check them all out.

 With the new year I decided that it was time to get back into the groove, especially since it seems that I have fallen out of that groove since November 2011.  Prepping for the holidays can be all-consuming.  One of the directions I have gone in these past few weeks is paying more attention to my FetLife account.  FetLife, as the name implies, is a community serving people with an interest in the BDSM, fetish, and erotic-play lifestyle.  I show off some of my artwork there, and check out other artists.

One of the cats I am really digging is Shayne, as in "of the dead".  His work has an old-school tattoo edge to it that really appeals to me.  One of the things this guy is into is ACEOs, which stands for "Art Cards, Editions and Originals".  Art Cards are small (usually 3.5 X 2.5") pieces of artwork sold or traded by their creators and collectors.  WAY back in the day, like the 16th Century, most artwork was portable.  Guys carried around small paintings of their mistresses and what not.  The Mona Lisa was toted all over the place by Di Vinci.  The trend waned until the mid-1700s when artists began using Art Cards for advertising and to trade among their peers as a means of sharing styles and techniques.  In the early 19th Century, baseball cards became popular, which in turn gave Art Cards a shot in the arm.  Collectors started seeking out and trading these miniature masterpieces among themselves.

 Today, there is a thriving Art Card community and market. My man Shayne described making art cards as "a small portable way of always being able to create".  My limited experience confirms this, as well as being a way to crank out a quick piece while your sitting around at a convention or waiting on your espresso.  

 So, I decided to give it a shot.

 
  Beautiful, huh? And so tiny!  Cute little pocket erotica... that's what they are.

 These are done in my favorite medium, pencil, on bristol board.  Each is 3.5 X 2.5".  I will be printing a limited run of 52 of each image, signed and numbered.  The originals I will be keeping until another artist presents an original Art Card to trade or until I have made enough of them that I decide it is time to auction them off.

 The prints I am giving away.

 I want to have fun with this, not to make a new marketing venture out of it.  So, here's the deal.  Anyone who sends me a self-addressed stamped envelope before I run out of each edition will get ONE card.  I'll update this blog letting you know how many are left.  I plan creating new designs in the future and continuing to offer the limited prints for free, so subscribe to the blog.  

 Send your SASE to:

  Jason Sorrell
 10401 N Lamar Blvd
 A201
 Austin, TX, 78753
 I'll start mailing in February.  Oh, and check out Creative Oddities Studios for more of my stuff.

 1/19/2012: I just kicked this off yesterday, and I am getting email requests to hold prints for some collectors.  I will hold a print for one week after receiving your email.  The number below reflect both local collectors who have gotten their cards and email requests.  You can email me at sorrellart@hotmail.com.


"Bound".  14 of 52 remain.
















"Cat o' Nine Tails". 22 of 52 remain.

















 "Horse". 9 of 52 remain.
















 Update 01/25/2012: I created three more erotic art cards.  Same deal as the ones above.  Oh, and if you are an artists interested in trading prints or originals, contact me.


"Ceci N'est Pas Une Fellatio". 27 of 52 remain.














"Rose". 18 of 52 remain.
















"Stripper". 14 of 52 remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment